Using Earth’s energetic shifts to help cleanse and detoxify
As I become increasingly sensitive to Earth’s energy and each new season stimulates palpable changes in my own body, and the more aware I am of just how connected our physical vehicles are to the planet.
Spring is ubiquitously considered a time of renewal and rebirth. Leading up to yesterday’s Equinox (also referred to as the Vernal Equinox or Ostara) I felt massive shifts in my energy, moving from the contemplative inner work and seeding of winter’s darkness, into the blossoming dynamism and light of spring. As the transition spiked over the past few days, I experienced purification in alignment with the shift, expressed on a physical level by a headache, sore throat, fever, skin outbreak, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, excess sweating, and digestive elimination, which were followed by a heightened sense of energy, clarity, motivation, and spiritual connection. I assisted my body’s natural detoxification through herbal elixirs, raw foods, hot baths, rest, massage, yoga and meditation.
Although widespread skepticism about the validity of detoxes exists in modern Western medicine, seasonal cleansing is an integral part of many ancient traditions, including Shamanism, Ayurveda, and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). According to TCM, Spring is the best time to detoxify the body—specifically the liver. Although our livers, kidneys, colons, and to some extend, our lungs, are constantly ridding our bodies of toxic substances, the increasing pollution of the air, land, and water is exposing our bodies to more contamination, chemicals, and stress than ever before, often compromising our health.
That said, I don’t support commercial detox programs or extreme regimens. In my opinion, overpriced juice fasts, colon cleansing pills, or any other packaged products are unnecessary and potentially harmful. Nature provides all that’s needed to gently assist our bodies in cleansing accumulated toxins. It can be as simple as eating more plant-based wholefoods and drinking plenty of water and herbal teas to support the body’s natural processes, resting and getting quiet enough to listen to our needs, emotions, and individual current state of balance.
Potential detoxification benefits
- Eliminating toxins and heavy metals from the body
- Greater energy and clarity
- Improved digestion
- Clearer skin
- Boosted immune system
Physical signs of detoxification
- Skin outbreaks
- Increased bowel movements
- Excess Sweating
- Breath Odour
Some herbs that can aid detoxification
- Milk thistle
Some foods that can aid detoxification
- Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables
- Leafy Greens
- Fruit such as apples and berries
- Soaked nuts and seeds
- Lemons, oranges, and limes
- Activated Charcoal
- And my favourite, of course… cacao!
Other practices for detoxification
- Rest (allow yourself to get more sleep and disconnect from daily stressors)
- Meditation and deep breathing
- Self-care (try hot salt baths, saunas or sweat lodges, essential oil massages, journalling etc.)
- Yin and restorative yoga, mindful walking, tai chi etc.
- Neti flushes
- Smudging and burning incense
- Getting outside, grounding and connecting to nature
* Please bear in mind that I am only sharing what has worked for me, which may not be applicable to or suitable for you. I am not advocating that you blindly accept or follow my advice, but that you tune into your being and make your own decisions, only incorporating what resonates with you and is supported by your own experience. The information presented here is in no way intended as a substitute for any form of medical counselling.